The Position: Sea Kayak Field Intern
Position Description: The Sea Kayak Field Intern will be trained to staff one to three day sea kayak trips on San Francisco Bay and Tomales Bay for people with disabilities and youth and adults from under resourced backgrounds.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Seek to provide meaningful outdoor experiences for ETC participants
- Work within a team of guides to ensure trips are operated in a safe manner
- Facilitate activities focusing on group development, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
- Aid with trip logistics including but not limited to food preparation, equipment preparation and maintenance, and cleaning storage facilities and overnight locations
- Occasionally assist with administrative tasks including, but not limited to, trip preparation and follow up, and communication with agencies, participants and volunteers
- With the help of the Program Manager develop and carry out an Intern Project to help improve Sea Kayak Program trips
- Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Experience working with youth or special needs programs preferred
- Experience with environmental education or leading outdoor trips preferred
- CPR and First Aid Certified (WFA or WFR are preferred)
- Previous experience with sea kayaking preferred
- Have access to a vehicle to transport self to Sausalito, CA and Inverness, CA for trips
- Complimentary participation (usual cost is $350) in ETC’s Sea Kayak Guide School in April 2017 and ETC’s Inclusion Training in May 2017
- Individual training from Sea Kayak Program Manager, Operations Manager, and Program Associate
- Ongoing skills development throughout employment
- Summer interns: Minimum three-month duration between May 1 and August 30. Start and end dates somewhat flexible.
- Fall interns: Minimum three-month duration between August 1 and November 30. Start and end dates somewhat flexible.
- 12 days per month scheduled at the beginning of each month. Field Interns will be asked to work on weekday and weekend days and on overnight trips. However, we are willing to work with you to accommodate your schedule and availability.
- Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Sea Kayak Program Operations Manager
- 500 monthly stipend
- The ability to check out ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use (subject to ETC boat use policy)
- Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers
To Apply: Submit cover letter, completed application found at http://www.etctrips.org/about/employment, and resume with references via email, fax, or post to Oren Frey, Sea Kayak Program Manager by March 15, 2017.
Environmental Traveling Companions Email: email@example.com
ATTN: Oren Frey Phone: 415-474-7662 ext. 13
2 Marina Blvd #C385 Fax: 415-474-3919
San Francisco, California 94123 Web: www.etctrips.org
Job Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Position Type: Seasonal
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 0-1 years