Wilderness Field Instructor
Posted by New Vision Wilderness on 03/23/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Camp Staff & Counselors, Guide (raft,fish,bike hunt,horse etc.), Outdoor Education
Company Type: DoesnotApply
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Contact Name: Amy Drasch
Contact Cell: 262-893-8501
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Looking for work where you can make a difference?
New Vision Wilderness is looking to invest in dedicated, passionate and caring individuals who want to join our mission to Create Joy and Heal Generations! Come explore the beauty of the Northwoods for a once in a lifetime experience!
Wilderness Field Instructor, New Vision Wilderness Therapy
- New Vision Wilderness Therapy is hiring Full-time, and Seasonal Wilderness Field Instructors. Nestled away in the Northwoods of Wisconsin is an opportunity for you to serve as a role model to 10-17-year-old students to provide time away from the normal distractions of life while helping adolescents learn about themselves, develop healthy relationships and support the healing process of childhood developmental trauma. Wilderness Field Guides form the cornerstone of NVW's dedicated treatment team, providing a committed and empathetic atmosphere to students who have experienced trauma and are in desperate need of support. An individualized, attuned relational approach to highlight student strengths is used, while providing year-round novel experiences, like canoeing, cross country skiing, fishing and canine therapy, to engage students while building self-esteem and providing opportunities for growth.
As a Wilderness Field Instructor, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Access to professional growth using our leading-edge strategies and training with our exceptional leaders
- Competitive salary, starting salary at $49,500 with potential of up to $55,000 in the first year
Comprehensive Benefit Program that includes medical insurance with a generous company contribution towards a high deductible plan, dental insurance, vision insurance, voluntary life and AD&D insurance, long-term disability, 401K with company matching, and paid maternal leave.
- Company Paid Time Off for Full Time employment
- Holiday Bonuses
- Tenure Bonuses
- Employee Referral bonuses
- Annual training stipend of $500
- Increased pay rate for Wilderness First Responder certification
- Free staff housing available
- Qualify for Pro Deals as an outdoor professional with many outdoor brands
- Opportunity to foster relationships with adolescents and their families, create joy in their lives, and heal generations.
- New Vision Wilderness Therapy and team members embrace the core values of empathy, trusting relationships, service, growth, and results.
- While on shift, meals are included unless dietary restrictions (meals that are coordinated with the students)
- New Vision Wilderness Therapy offers an amazing atmosphere of acceptance and support in a wonderful environment! With our unique and out-of-doors style location in Medford, Wisconsin, where the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest covers more than 1.5 million acres of Wisconsin's Northwoods, offering Access to endless outdoor activities including kayaking, mountain biking, skiing, fishing, climbing, and more
What do you bring to this position?
- Qualified applicants will have at least 1 year of work experience with youth in an outdoor or mental health setting
- Must possess a current first aid and CPR certification within 30 days of employment; Certified Wilderness First Responder preferred
- Ability to plan, implement, and adjust a course of treatment as required.
- Ability to pass a state background check, physical and drug test
- Able to commit to an 8-day on/6-day off schedule
- Ability to commit to working some holidays throughout the year
What are a Guide's responsibilities?
Day-to-day facilitation of programming, including;
- Direct care of clients as part of a 2-3 member staff team managing the Safety, Structure, and Supervision of a group of about 8-9 students
- Risk management
- Implementation of program philosophy and clinical model
- Maintaining a high level of student supervision
- Leadership and responsible decision making
- Daily communication of student process and logistical needs
- Overall care and welfare of a group of students in wilderness context
- Weekly planning of group activities and facilitation
- Crisis response
- Completion of daily paperwork
- Logistical duties
- Drive a company vehicle and transport staff and students safely
- Be mentally stable and fit to mentor students during their therapeutic process
- Any other duties as defined by the Field Director
New Vision Wilderness Therapy is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. New Vision Wilderness Therapy is committed to enriching the therapeutic and healing experience it offers through the diversity of its employees and community. New Vision Wilderness Therapy seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse staff who will contribute to the organization's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society.
About New Vision Wilderness
New Vision Wilderness is a Wilderness Therapy company out of Wisconsin. We are currently seeking experienced, energetic, and commited people to join our team. We work with13-17 year old clients with mental health needs. Wilderenss Instructors travel with groups of 13-17 year old clients and are resbonsible for client safety and supervision, setting up daily structure, education about the environment and outdoor rec, helping clients build healthy relationships with one another, and working with Masters Level Clinicians to help clients succeed.