Education Center Manager
Posted by GO•REC on 06/22/2022
Industry Sector: Bike, Fishing, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow
Job Categories: Customer Service, Hospitality & Lodge Staff, Management - Team, Marketing & Digital Marketing, Outdoor Education, Public Relations, Sales - Inside - Product & Reservations, Social Media - Digital Marketing, Trail Management
Company Type: Gym/Outfitter, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation
City: Traverse City
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Contact Name: Jamie Hedges
Contact Phone: 231-735-5939
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $35,670 to $43,919
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
The Education Center Manager will be responsible for overseeing land management, guest services, equipment logistics, and recreational activities. Employee will assist Assistant Director of Education with engaging and meaningful outdoor recreation experiences and support overall brand communications with innovative online and offline content.
Employee’s primary duties will include:
- Managing and directing staff to oversee rental hospitality and guest services, especially in support of educational programs, negotiating facility use contracts, greeting and registering guests in and out for their reservations, accepting and processing payments, ensuring housekeeping, stocking supplies, tracking rental fees for tourism bureau, managing vehicle and equipment inventory, processing vehicle and equipment issue and return, etc.;
- Managing and directing staff to support outdoor skills education, especially coordination of facility and equipment logistics as well as cultural and natural resources for activities such as wilderness medicine, Leave No Trace, camping, snow travel, kayaking/canoeing, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, fishing, climbing/ropework; and…
- Managing and directing staff and collaborating with Director and Assistant Director to create and manage communications and public facing content that engages the public with GO•REC land, facilities, and resources through digital and conventional channels, especially creating and publishing content over digital platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, etc.
In addition to or as part of these primary duties, Employee will:
- Manage calendar scheduling and reservations through Google Calendar, CheckFront, and online reservation systems like Hipcamp, VRBO, etc.
- Support event logistics, facility preparation, equipment management, food planning, transportation, maintenance, supplies, etc.;
- Sometimes serve as event lead and/or education instructor for events, workshops, clinics, courses, schools/camps, and/or certifications;
- Inspect, maintain, and repair building structure and appearance as skills allow, scheduling necessary contractors and service as necessary;
- Inspect, maintain, and restore outdoor spaces such as replacing trail signs, shoring up eroded trails; clearing brush; or cleaning up campsites;
- Inspect, maintain, and repair equipment such as tents, stoves, canoes, rafts, and other gear;
- Developing systems for organization that ensure efficient access, repair, routine maintenance, safety inspections, operation, and staff orientation;
- Ensure all land management, guest services, and available recreational activities adhere to industry and regulatory standards, such as Leave No Trace, etc.;
- Manage accounts and create monthly report on fiscal management of budget goals, expenses, and revenue;
- Creating and publishing videos/photographs, synchronous/asynchronous courses, infographics, digital/print advertising, public communication via mail, social, messaging, email, and voice;
- Create and display educational and marketing materials such as flyers, posters, signage and billboards;
- Interview, vet, and secure staff, contractors, seasonal staff and interns.
- Manage internet and phone systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years’ demonstrable experience in outdoor education, outfitting, resorts, camps, or campgrounds.
- Demonstrated logistical expertise in facilities management and/or hospitality or guest services at a multi-function facility, including grounds, building maintenance and waterfront operations.
- Strong skills in carpentry, electrical, plumbing and general automotive/mechanical areas, innovative thinking, and sound judgment to apply to structural facility maintenance, environmental/conservation management, and outdoor activities.
- Ability to deliver results in a fast paced, innovative environment.
- Familiar with working, networking, and collaborating with community partners and customers of definitive industry organizations such as OIA, AORE, AEE, etc.
- Certification in Wilderness First Aid and CPR. Experience as a Wilderness First Responder and additional certifications preferred (i.e., AMGA, ACA, LAB, NOLS Risk Management, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in outdoor education, experiential education, recreation, or a related field from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree in a related field a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and build individual capacity through effective employee engagement, training, and communication.
- Adept in multiple environments and outdoor skills.
- Prior responsibility managing a budget over $20,000.
- Natural ability for extraordinary customer service and conflict resolution.
- Valid driver’s license with no negative incidents.
- Computer skills using Google Apps Suite and the Internet.
- Ability to work in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
$35,670 to $43,919 annual salary in consideration of skills, experience, and off-campus housing,
plus benefits including paid time off and health insurance.
Paid time off, health insurance, 401k plan.
On campus housing may be available.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
Employee is expected to normally work 40 hours per week. However, due to the nature of the employment duties, employee’s particular schedule will vary from week to week and season to season, including occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays. Employee may at times be required to work early mornings, evenings, or other irregular hours, to spend time onsite overnight for purposes of availability as needed, and may occasionally be asked to travel. Employee may take advantage of flex-time, alternative schedules, and work-from-home arrangements, if agreed to in writing with the Employer.
Employee’s position may require work in and out of the Welcome Center office but will also include the following: buildings, grounds, woods, waterfronts, areas at height, areas at night, and various areas available to GO•REC with frequent remote digital work, including Zoom staff meetings. When working outside, Employee will be exposed to extreme cold conditions in the winter or warm conditions in the summer and may be exposed to various forms of machine noise. Duties will include answering phones, typing, copying, filing, digital communications. Employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates who can demonstrate they meet qualifications are encouraged to apply as soon as possible
If you’re interested in applying,
please email a current resume with relevant cover letter and social profiles to email@example.com
Have Questions? Call: 231.735.5939
GO•REC gets people Outside, and helps them Learn How to Thrive. We are an Outdoor Recreation & Education Center that provides outdoor recreation, technical skills, and leadership training in the Great Lakes region. We connect people, no matter identity, to land and water.