Kitchen Manager - Cedar Rock Base Camp
Posted by North Carolina Outward Bound School on 04/04/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Outdoor Education
Company Type: School/Military
City: Pisgah Forest
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Job Type: Seasonal Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Reports To: Program Director
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Location: Pisgah National Forest outside Brevard, NC
Contract Dates: April 16th, 2023 - October 15, 2023
Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of South Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for the overall management of the basecamp kitchen operations. Including, but not limited to, preparation and serving of meals to staff and students, food ordering and inventory, cleanliness and hygiene of the kitchen, budget tracking, and supervision of kitchen helpers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the base leadership team in maintaining a positive and professional work environment and living community at basecamp.
- Preparation and serving of meals for a community of 5-12 staff, typically 5 days a week. During peak periods this may fluctuate up to 40-50 staff.
- Provide additional catering needs for Outward Bound Professional courses, as well as other specialty programs as needed.
- Preparation and serving of meals during trainings, including All Staff and Base Camp Split.
- Maintaining a stocked fridge with available food for staff 7 days a week to accommodate when meals are not prepared.
- Preparation and serving of student banquet meals for 60-110 people, typically up to 10 times per season thru June-August. In addition, smaller student banquet meals cooked throughout the season
- Pre, post and monthly inventory and ordering of all kitchen food and equipment along with certain basecamp supplies.
- Manage and track kitchen expenses and remain within budgeted expectations.
- Maintenance and upkeep of all kitchen equipment.
- Establish and maintain relationships with food vendors, suppliers, price shopping as applicable.
- Establish and maintain a positive working/living environment within the kitchen and community.
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen in line with State Health Department standards.
- Maintain documentation of the role to enable successors to step into position easily.
- Oversight of basecamp garden (if applicable).
- Any additional tasks as designated.
- Full vaccination against Covid-19
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS mission, values, and principles.
- Strong knowledge of Outward Bound history, standards, and programs.
- Certification in ServSafe – Food Handler minimum.
- Preferred background and/or experience in food service preparation, ordering, budgeting and kitchen upkeep
- Experience with community living
- Able to participate in all base activities. Able to lift 75 pounds.
- Able to serve cost-efficient nutritious food for a variety of dietary needs
- Effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong personal initiative, motivation, and resourcefulness.
- Competent computer skills.
- Cooperative attitude and ability to be flexible.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Works 22 days per month. Paid at a per diem rate of $115/day or, provided at least 2 years of experience in a professional kitchen, $135/day.
- Housing Provided for duration of contract.
- Use of NCOBS program equipment
- Ability to attend professional development trainings for rock climbing and white-water canoeing at no cost.
- Base camps with expansive recreational opportunities nearby (Linville Gorge, Pisgah NF, Outer Banks).
- Pro-purchase deals with outdoor-industry gear retailers.
The N.C. Mountains base camps are comprised of several buildings including larger office and warehouse structures that support the wilderness operations of the school. Base camps are approximately 30-45 minutes from the nearest town and embody a community living environment.
You will be assigned a staff cabin space that you will have to yourself. Staff cabins are rustic but comfortable; laundry, showers, internet, a group kitchen, and recreational spaces are all available at the base camps.
About North Carolina Outward Bound School
For 55 years, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) has been delivering challenging outdoor adventure programs for people of all ages and walks of life. Every Outward Bound course is built around a progression that delivers powerful life lessons by encouraging participants to safely and confidently step outside their comfort zones while traveling in spectacular wilderness areas.