Logistics Coordinator - NC Mountains
Posted by North Carolina Outward Bound School on 01/13/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Outdoor Education
Company Type: School/Military
City: Pisgah National Forest
Country: United States
Job Type: Seasonal Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Reports To: Logistics Manager
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Location: Mountains Base Camps
(Remote, community living situation located 1.5 hours outside of Asheville, NC in Pisgah National Forrest)
Length: Spring 2022 - Fall 2022
The Logistics Coordinator is an entry-level support role based in the North Carolina Mountains. The Logistics Coordinator works under the direct supervision of the Assistant Logistics Manager and Logistics Manager to ensure that the logistical needs of field programs and base camp facilities are met. The role of the Logistics Coordinator requires an individual that is hardworking, flexible, committed to excellent customer service, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Additionally, the position calls for someone who will work proactively to address the needs of the program, is comfortable working within a routine, and who completes scheduled tasks in a timely manner.
For eligible candidates, this position can be held as part of the NCOBS Fellowship for BIPOC Staff.
- Contracts are available for the following dates:
- April 1, 2023 - October 31, 2023
- June 1, 2023 - September 30, 2023
- June 1, 2023 - August 31, 2023
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the delivery of the Outward Bound mission and educational framework.
- Supports building a healthy and positive community base camp culture that upholds NCOBS' values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Creates and upholds facilities organization, efficient operation, and cleanliness.
- Coordinates the issue, de-issue, and maintenance of the regional outdoor equipment. Includes clean up, repair, laundry, and inventory.
- Maintains map, medical, and expendable inventory.
- Handles all logistical details, preparations, and support for several courses in the field at once.
- Picks up and transports crews between locations in the beginning, middle, and end of course.
- Oversees weekly vehicle checks, maintenance, and communication regarding necessary repairs.
- Participates in the logistics coordinator on-call system.
- Responds to field emergencies.
- Demonstrates the ability to behave as a role model for students.
- Fulfills 20 - 22 days of work per month, as scheduled by the Logistics Manager.
- Adheres to all local operating procedures, safety policies, and emergency procedures outlined in the Field Staff Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Provides clear, effective, and timely communication with Instructors, Course Directors, and other staff.
- Consistently strives to openly share and receive feedback with/from co-workers and supervisors.
- Articulates and role models Outward Bound’s mission, history, and values.
- Commits to professional growth, including improving technical and interpersonal skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum age – 21 years old.
- Full Vaccination against Covid-19
- Valid Driver’s License held for a minimum of 5 years with a clean driving record/background check.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Strong personal initiative, motivation, and resourcefulness.
- Able to drive program vehicles on steep, rugged roads. (15-passenger vans with trailers)
- Able to participate in all base activities. Able to lift 60 pounds.
- Able to give and receive timely, effective oral and written feedback.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Logistics Coordinators will work 20-22 days per month. This position is paid at a per diem rate of $100/day.
- Housing provided for duration of contract (shared, cabin-style housing).
- Meals provided. Lunch and Dinner are prepared by the Kitchen Manager, breakfast foods are made available for preparation.
- Eligible for pro-deal purchasing program.
- Ability to attend professional development trainings for rock climbing and white-water canoeing at no cost as appropriate with work schedule.
- Valuable experience and understanding of the organization that can help one transition into an instructor role in future years provided demonstration of professionalism and appropriate skillsets.
The N.C. Mountains base camps are comprised of several buildings including larger office and warehouse structures that support the wilderness operations of the school. Base camps are approximately 30-45 minutes from the nearest town and embody a community living environment.
Staff are assigned a bunk in a staff cabin, sharing the space with up to two other staff members. Staff cabins are rustic but comfortable; laundry, showers, internet, a group kitchen, and recreational spaces are all available at the base camps. Base camp is remote, at least an hour from the nearest town.
Daily meals are provided. Lunch and Dinner are made each day by the Kitchen Manager. While all food is provided, staff are expected to make their own breakfast.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants will be contacted about their status whether advanced to an interview or declined. Interviews will be conducted in waves during these dates:
- November 13-23, 2023
- December 13-20, 2023
- January 9-20, 2023
About North Carolina Outward Bound School
For 55 years, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) has been delivering challenging outdoor adventure programs for people of all ages and walks of life. Every Outward Bound course is built around a progression that delivers powerful life lessons by encouraging participants to safely and confidently step outside their comfort zones while traveling in spectacular wilderness areas.