Girl's Dorm Outdoor Education Instructor
Posted by Battle Creek Outdoor Education Center on 01/10/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Outdoor Education
Company Type: Service
Country: United States
Required Experience: 0 - 1 year
Contact Name: Jenny Madden
Business Phone: (269) 721-8161
Job Type: Seasonal Full Time
Salary: $80 - $100/day
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Instructors at the OEC serve an essential role in the camp experience for visiting students. Instructors are responsible for providing an engaging, positive, and learning experience in the environmental-based learning of students. Instructors are in charge of a group of students during the day leading activities, overnight supervision of the dorm, and involved with care of OEC resources [animals, courses, land/trails].
- Ranges from $80 to $100 per day based on demonstrated skill set and experience.
- Paid training days.
- Private room or cabin housing onsite.
- Meals provided during training and when groups are onsite.
- Employed through EDUStaff with optional healthcare at employee's cost.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Lead student groups in experiential learning activities in an outdoor setting.
- Teach classes with a science, adventure, and outdoor pursuits focus, includes programs such as Pond Exploration, Canoeing, and Survival. Be able to teach programs independently as well as teach with co-instructors.
- Participate in daily meals with students depending on which shift you are working.
- Work with classroom teachers to meet class goals within the program framework.
- Provide responsible leadership for student campers.
- Handle and help care for the OEC animals; snakes, frogs, fish, and raptors.
- Upkeep classrooms, equipment, and program areas.
- Attend all staff meetings and training sessions.
- Adhere to all camp policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or Natural Science.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Certifications in Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder.
- Experience with urban students.
- Experience supervising students overnight.
- Prior experience in residential/environmental education.
Programs are run in all weather conditions, instructors need to be able to work outdoors for long hours in cold, heat, rain, snow, and other weather that arises. Instructors will also need to be able to stand for hours and be able to hike up to 5 miles. Should be able to lift or move up to 25 pounds. Instructional season consists of up to nine  months employment with pre-defined periods of non-paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
Send cover letter, resume, and 3 reference contacts to Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone inquiries are welcome at 269-721-8161.
More information is on our website www.clearlakecamp.org.
The OEC accepts applications on a rolling basis. Positions close once filled.
About Battle Creek Outdoor Education Center
The Battle Creek Outdoor Education Center (OEC), commonly called "Clear Lake Camp", is a division of the Battle Creek Public School System (BCPS). We are located on Clear Lake in Dowling, Michigan. We offer a serene rural environment less than an hour's drive from Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo.
As the oldest school camp in the nation, we have been offering programs to supplement school curriculum for over 60 years. We currently offer overnight and day programs to schools located across southern Michigan. In addition, we host weddings, family retreats, and workshops.