|Job Title: ||Buyer - Climbing, Skiing, Footwear
|Industry Sector: ||Outdoor
|Job Categories: ||Purchasing
The Position: Buyer - Climbing, Skiing, Footwear
One of the finest mountain shops in the country, Neptune Mountaineering based in Boulder, CO, has an excellent opportunity available for a Retail Buyer for our climbing, skiing and footwear lines. For over 40 years, Neptune Mountaineering has been a trusted supplier of exceptional outdoor gear matched up with best advice for all levels of climbers, skiers and adventurers. Our staff is not only knowledgeable but also as passionate about the outdoors as our customers are.
The person in the buying role is critical to shaping the customer experience and satisfaction with our offerings. The buyer develops and executes product assortment plans and ensures that our strategies will maximize sales, turns and profitability, while creating a compelling story for the brands we represent. The buyer will possess a depth of knowledge of the products and evolving trends coupled with intimacy and understanding of what the Neptune customer wants and needs.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develops merchandise assortments that support the overall strategy of in-stock positioning for key product categories and ensures in-season product flow, while staying within the financial plans and meeting our customers’ expectations of quality and selection.
- Accountable for category merchandise performance; continually monitors and analyzes product performance of a department, classification, vendor and style level and reacts appropriately to sales trends and sell-through.
- Successfully manages their open-to-buy while ensuring that the in-stock levels for all key merchandise categories are met.
- Capitalizes on vendor sales programs, pre-season discounts and dating or other sales incentives offered by vendors.
- Runs weekly, monthly and seasonal sales reports in order to react to business needs as they arise.
- Monitors inventory and adjusts pre-season orders according to sales trends or other changes in the business.
- Ensures timely delivery of orders placed; resolves fulfillment or shipping issues in a timely manner.
- On a monthly or as-needed basis, communicates sales trends, reviews strategies and category performance with Director of Retail Operations. In the assortment planning, takes into account fixture capacity and fixture needs and ensures product is well merchandized when it arrives.
- Responsible for initiating style level markdowns to ensure sell-through meets turns goals.
- Works with vendors to obtain support for marketing strategies through co-op advertising programs or by other vendor partnership opportunities.
- Partners with store managers, sales staff, merchandisers and marketing to execute strategies that help drive sales.
- For the given categories of responsibility, helps organize product knowledge training for the sales staff – either through vendor clinics or by conducting the training him/herself.
- Actively participates in line previews and attends trade shows as needed.
The ideal candidate has the following attributes:
- Previous experience working as a buyer in a retail organization.
- Strong awareness of outdoor market trends and brands; personal experience with outdoor/climbing/skiing gear is essential.
- Proven experience with essential retail math, including working within an open-to-buy, inventory turns goals and analysis of margins and sell-through.
- Persuasive negotiation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively with reps and vendors as well as with store managers and floor personnel.
- Solid knowledge of merchandising, retail marketing and sales principles.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Established method of prioritization and organization to manage workflow, adjust pre-seasons and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to travel occasionally to trade shows and line previews.
- PC proficient. Experience in Retail Pro or similar POS/Inventory Management System preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive. Benefits include a generous health benefits package, 401(k), PTO and a fun and flexible work environment.
Job Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 1-3 years