|Job Title: ||Assistant Operations Manager (Rainier)
|Industry Sector: ||Outdoor, Snow
|Job Categories: ||Management
Management - Team
Retail - Management
The Position: Assistant Operations Manager (Rainier)
Location: Ashford, WA
Reports to: Rainier Program Director
Hours: Part-Time (25-40 hours per week)
Founded in 1986, International Mountain Guides (IMG) is one of the longest operating international guide services in the United States. IMG has conducted hundreds of expeditions since its inception on all seven continents. After 10 years of successful operation on Mount Rainier IMG renewed its 10 year concession with Mount Rainier National Park in 2017. Our mission is to provide excellent experiences for our customers on every trip, and the fact that most of our customers climb with us again and again tells us we're doing things right.
The Assistant Operations Manager is a key part of the team responsible for managing all facilities, logistics and processes at IMG HQ to provide a seamless and excellent experience for our customers. The Assistant Operations Manager supports the clients, guides, partners and staff by managing the retail store, gear rental process, and the IMG facilities. Guides, Partners, Operations Manager and Staff (both full-time and seasonal) will assist in various ways to fulfill this mission, but the Assistant Operations Manager will provide much of the day to day direction, energy and control that allows customers to have a superior experience and the business to succeed in the most effective fashion.
This position requires high levels of energy, enthusiasm and self-initiative. Communication skills at multiple levels are essential, planning and follow through are critical, and a customer-service orientation is mandatory.
- Outfit & organize all Rainier climbs
- Retail store: Work with suppliers to stock retail store, merchandise, run Point of Sale system, security, inventory control and staffing. Design and order IMG logo items for sale in store. Work with vendors and suppliers to restock items and manage special orders.
- Rental gear: work with suppliers to obtain rental gear; maintain spaces for rental gear storage, rentals, fitting, repair and cleaning; acquire equipment to serve entire rental process; work with IMG administration to maintain and manage the rental process including all paperwork, financials, equipment tracking and reporting; manage guides and other staff who will work the rental process for each trip; maintain all rental gear in clean working order. Manage end-of-season sale of equipment IMG decides to sell.
- Maintain the IMG HQ grounds and facility. Arrange to keep grass cut, parking areas clean and orderly, guide lounge areas clean and orderly, all buildings and facilities secure and neat.
- Assist other IMG staff to meet and greet clients before and after each program, which includes but is not limited to: assist staff and guides with client registration, gear rentals, provide directions and assistance, set up food/beverages before and after climbs.
- Assist guides to locate and prepare group gear and paperwork as necessary. Assist guides in meeting IMG and NPS compliance/paperwork issues before and after all programs.
- Manage the creation of menus, food procurement and food packing for all programs.
- Upkeep of all group gear (tents, ropes, stoves, etc.)
- Assist with IMG vehicle and trailer maintenance
- Liaise with Mt. Rainier Park Rangers as needed
- Be first point of radio contact for climbs in the field
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong familiarity with outdoor clothing and equipment
- 2-5 years experience in retail sales and/or store management
- Demonstrated experience and success in a customer service environment
- Superior communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, handling multiple tasks, in a fast-paced working environment
- Personal mountain climbing and rock climbing experience desirable
- 4-year college degree preferred
- Clean driving record
- Employment is contingent on passing a standard background check.
Pay, benefits & advancement
- $16/hour starting wage
- WA State Workman’s Compensation coverage
- One complimentary climb of Rainier during off-season periods (May, June, or September) on a regularly scheduled IMG program.
- This position has been designed to create opportunity for advancement. We are looking for the right person for the job who can take on more responsibilities, eventually assuming the role of Operations Manager.
- Please submit a cover letter, résumé and three references to email@example.com
- Please submit these documents via PDF attachment only.
- No phone calls please.
- Deadline for application: March 1, 2018
IMG is an equal opportunity employer. IMG is committed to treating all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, and all other bases protected by law.
Job Location: Ashford, WA
Country: United States
Position Type: Part Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel:
Required Experience Required: 1-3 years