The Position: Male Camp Counselor in TAIWAN
Camp Taiwan is the premier residential summer camp in Northern Taiwan. We are looking for qualified Male candidates to complete our summer staff team.
We are located in the sub-tropical foothill mountains on the north-east coast of Taiwan. Stunning scenery in our terraced-fields, mountain trails, forests, ponds, streams and waterfalls make up our camp environment. Each summer we run an English-based residential North American style summer camp for children ages 5-16. We are looking for experienced and mature individuals with summer residential camp counselor experience who are interested in brining the magic of summer camp to children and youth in Taiwan.
We offer a one-week paid staff training followed by 8 one-week sessions for 130 campers per week. Our staff is comprised of 36 counselors approximately half of whom are native English speakers and half are native Mandarin speakers who have English as a second language. We offer internship support for College/ universities who accept internship or service hours.
Our week-long camper sessions have overall theme that helps set the mood for the week. Campers and counselors spend the morning at two 80 min. instruction- based activities. After lunch and a 90-minute rest period, we continue with one more instructional period followed by a theme based full-camp wide game or similar program. Evening programs also include theme-based programming- either campfires, night games or special theme related programs.
The campers at Camp Taiwan, like our staff, are very internationally diverse. The main campership are Taiwanese children, but we also appeal to overseas Taiwanese and Chinese children ( Children living in the USA, Canada, Australia or Asia). We have an increasing number of international children who attend for up to two sessions. The language of instruction at Camp Taiwan is English, but the feeling is very multicultural.
To qualify for this Camp Taiwan paid internship position you must:
• Be enrolled in or returning to college or University for the Fall 2018. (for visa purposes)
• Visa can only be considered for citizens with passports from an “English” speaking country according to the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign affairs and for those who.
• Have experience in a summer camp as either a camper or counselor- residential camp preferred.
• Have recent experience working with youth.
• Enjoy camping and living in the great outdoors.
• Have experience teaching or assisting in one of our camp activities: Archery; Rock / wall Climbing; Outdoor Living Skills; Crafts, Ecology; Music, BMX biking, Orienteering, Surfing or Kayaking
• Enjoy teamwork and cooperation
• Have current CPR and First Aid
• WFR is an asset
• Experience living, working or traveling overseas is an asset
• Lifeguard experience and asset
• Have a valid Passport
• Be a native English speaker
• Salary is $240 USD per week for 9 weeks. Travel stipend (up to $1,300) for those who qualify.
To apply please send your CV/ Resume and covering letter to Nara McDonald email@example.com. Your covering or introduction letter should clearly explain the skills you have that qualify you to work at Camp Taiwan. Please use the list of activities we teach as a guide to explain what activity skills you have as well as highlighting your work with children or youth. We also appreciate knowing what skills and professional development you hope to gain through the experience at working with us. Interviews for this position are arranged to be conducted via Skype/ Facetime or Hangouts. Professional references are checked before conducting second interviews and background checks are required for this position. Generally we are fully staffed by March.
Position Type: Seasonal
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 1-3 years
Contact Name: Nara McDonald