|Job Title: ||Director of Product
|Industry Sector: ||Outdoor
|Job Categories: ||Management - Executive
The Position: Director of Product
This position closes on 8/24/17 at 4:30 p.m. PDT
We are the Change We Seek
Imagine working for a company with a proven record of changing the world for the better. At Klean Kanteen we are dedicated to providing safe, high quality products that encourage a healthy lifestyle, sustainability and environmental awareness. Success in making reusable bottles part of everyday life has inspired Klean Kanteen to innovate a wide range of products good for both people and the planet. We are committed to model a better way of doing things, and have fun doing it.
Community & Giving
Klean Kanteen is a Certified B Corp and 1% for the Planet member. Certified B Corporations are leading a global movement to redefine success in business and meet rigorous and independent B Corp standards of performance, accountability, and transparency—which all guide our business day to day, and into the years ahead. A 1% for the Planet member since 2008, we donate 1% of total revenue to environmental organizations focused on shared values—health, sustainability, and environmental stewardship.
Klean Kanteen takes great pride in the company we keep. There are many hands-on opportunities for participation with our partners, ensuring that real relationships are fostered between Klean and the organizations we support. As part of that philosophy, Klean Kanteen has an active employee volunteer program that supports employees’ passion around giving back. We’ve climbed mountains, built homes, restored habitat, and carried water to support those who have none. From hiking supplies to NatureBridge students in the High Sierra to supporting dam removal with American Rivers, our people are encouraged to be as involved and committed as Klean Kanteen’s charitable dollars.
Klean Kanteen is family-run, and employee-owned. We have a tight-knit, fun, team-oriented culture, with a robust employee training and development program. With a casual office setting and open work environment, you’ll find most people in jeans and t-shirts. Most importantly, we’re all here to make a difference, and enjoy plenty of exciting challenges ahead.
The Director of Product is a leadership role that owns all things "Product", worldwide. This is a senior management position and a member of Klean Kanteen’s Executive Team. This position is ultimately responsible for understanding and addressing our customers’ needs, creating and implementing compelling business plans, managing the product lifecycle of new and existing products in all categories and managing the development and successful launch of product solutions for our global markets.
Organizational Chart / Reporting Relationship:
Supervision Exercised: Strategic Product Manager, Associate Product Manager, Outside Resources
Supervision Received: President/CEO
- Leads creation of product vision and strategies that align with and support the overall company vision, mission and strategies; key contributor to overall company strategic planning.
- Product Management: Ultimately responsible and accountable for developing and driving future product planning, mapping and business plans that deliver Klean's optimal product offering, delivering profitable growth with a focus on serving real customer needs, offering real solutions that eliminate need for single use items, improving product quality and market launch success.
- New Product Development: Ultimately responsible and accountable for the successful development and launch of new products: oversees and manages all product development efforts, is the champion of the customer voice and ensures Product representation on new product development teams.
- Commercialization: Ultimately responsible for the successful commercialization of new products as well as planning and driving the ongoing performance and continuous improvement of existing products lines.
- Works in close collaboration with all functions of Sales, Marketing and Operations to ensure alignment of all activities and communications; Interacts across all divisions of the company; requires cross-collaboration with other Teams and individuals, both internally and externally.
Duties / Responsibilities to accomplish Essential Functions:
Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Identifies new product opportunities and translates them into 3-year product maps that detail the means for achieving growth and mission objectives by envisioning new concepts, platforms and products that will meet customers’ future needs and anticipate market trends.
- Owns the creation and implementation of business plans related to new and existing products – ultimately responsible for leading, developing, recommending and executing business plans aligned with company goals and identified market opportunities; responsible for leading implementation of Commercialization Plans, pricing and cost targets, forecasts and financial modeling, sales training and coordination, promotions, packaging, distribution, etc.
- Partners with internal and external stakeholders to understand competitive landscape, customer needs, and market trends, translating them into product use and performance requirements and leads efforts to create product solutions.
- Ensures overall product line revenue and profitability; delivers expected ROIs.
- Responsible for all product definitions, configuration specifications and related system set-ups and implementations.
- Leads integration of new products to the Sales, Marketing and Field Operations Teams.
- Understands the regulatory requirements for children's products and international markets; RSL/Material needs.
New Product Development:
- Sponsors and directly contributes to new product development efforts by representing the voice of the customer and the needs identified in the product road map; works closely with project management and other internal team members and factories.
- Ultimately responsible for ensuring timely initiation and development of concepts; As Sponsor and advocate, ensures ongoing alignment with an efficient and effective product development process; Ensures the total lifecycle impact of products.
- Works closely with Product team and partners with project teams to clearly define project goals and requirements. Ultimately responsible for ensuring products are being developed to meet identified customer and market needs.
- Ultimately responsible for the creation and execution of new product commercialization plans.
- Helps lead and support marketing and sales efforts by developing effective commercialization plans, conveying clear vision and plans to achieve product road map, proactive communication around go-to-market planning and execution, conducting product training, participating in key sales calls, developing and creating effective sales materials, and attending key trade shows and account meetings.
Leadership and Collaboration:
- Responsible for product line and category performance; measures and monitors progress against NPD objectives and performance targets.
- Hires, inspires, coaches and sets accountability measures for all direct reports.
- Responsible for managing team performance through monthly 1:1s with staff, goal development, peer feedback, bi-annual performance reviews and annual merit increase recommendations.
- Provides oversight and direction to staff to meet stated company and department goals.
- Actively participates in personal professional growth plan and provides career growth opportunities for staff.
- Develops processes and plans, as needed, for implementation across the organization to increase communication and understanding of stated product line goals.
- Effectively collaborates with internal and external constituencies.
- Actively supports code of conduct related to sustainability and environmental stewardship.
- Actively supports a culture of accountability while maintaining the camaraderie and friendly nature so valued by the staff and leadership team of Klean Kanteen.
- Actively supports a culture of transparency to the team and consumers of Klean Kanteen.
- Follows departmental processes and procedures.
Mission and Values:
- Is a champion and advocate of the mission in all actions and interactions with our customers, partners and staff
- Actively supports Klean Kanteen values
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Core Competencies:
- Demonstrated mastery of product management and product development.
- Strong business acumen.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills; Ability to effectively work across entire organization and at all levels.
- Ability to translate market research to actionable business plans, product requirements and marketing plan; extensive knowledge of forecasting, budgeting and product strategy and road mapping.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and provide highly desirable and marketable product solutions; effective at dealing with ambiguity; Highly creative.
- Ability to inspire, build and maintain trust and motivate others.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop direct reports and others; Provides clear direction and goals while holding people accountable; Effectively delegates.
- Ability to create effective strategies, clear plans and manage budgets; Ability to translate product objectives into highest ROI.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Active listener; Superb presentation skills.
- Demonstrated advanced level of project management skills; Ability to organize, plan and manage portfolio of projects and priorities simultaneously; Ability to manage projects using internal and external resources.
- Ability to make good, timely decisions – think quickly, act decisively and inform others;
- Ability to work independently; self-starter and self-motivated.
- Consistently exhibits company values and ethos in all interactions with associates, customers, suppliers, and external constituents.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Constantly drives for results that meet objectives while meeting or exceeding customer expectations, thus continually strengthening the brand.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Outlook, Internet Explorer)
Education or Formal Training:
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing/Business or directly related work experience. MBA or equivalent desired.
- Advanced presentation and financial analysis skills.
Direct or relevant combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities in qualifying.
- 7+ years demonstrated experience in product management, new product development, strategic product planning, marketing analysis and commercialization. Sustainable, environmentally friendly consumer products experience preferred.
- 3+ years in management and leadership of Product Management function.
- 5+ years demonstrated experience in conceptualizing and communicating new product ideas based on understanding customer needs, market gaps and applications; demonstrated ability to develop and bring new products to market and attain market share.
- Project Management experience preferred.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
- PC, standard computer printers and faxes, copy machines and other office equipment.
- Standard business software (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe) and project management software (Gantt charts, Microsoft PROJECT or equivalent); ERP systems (such as SAGE).
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time; Some international travel.
- Periodic access / communication after normal business hours.
- Standard business / cubicle environment
- Bending, and reaching forward, sideways, and overhead; Finger dexterity to perform functions on computer and access files.
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Must be located within close proximity / short commute to Klean Kanteen corporate office.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANT / VETERANS’ PREFERENCE POLICY / DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
Job Location: Chico, CA
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 7-10 years
Job Application Web Site: https://kleankanteen.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=37