Posted by Glen Canyon Outdoor Academy on 07/20/2022
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Outdoor Education
Company Type: School/Military
Country: United States
Required Experience: 0 - 1 year
Contact Name: Jim Walker
Contact Phone: (928) 813-8422
Contact Cell: (928) 660-0875
Business Phone: (928) 813-8422
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Glen Canyon Outdoor Academy (GCOA), a free public outdoor-based charter school opening for the 2022-2023 school year in Page, AZ, is hiring teachers for grades 1-6. We are an EL education school with a full expeditionary model providing an outdoor themed integrated core curriculum, facilitated through a four-day school week.
Responsibilities and Duties
The GCOA Teacher key responsibilities include the following areas and may be changed at any time based on the needs of GCOA:
- Accurately demonstrate knowledge of the assigned content area and GCOA curriculum.
- Develop and deliver instruction that supports the GCOA curriculum.
- Plan for whole group, small group and individual student instruction based on the learning needs of the students.
- Establish ongoing communication with parents and provide weekly student progress reports on behavior, social emotional and academic progress.
- Assess student progress towards academic targets for the purpose of providing feedback to students, parents and administration.
- Collaborates with staff, parents and community for the purpose of improving the quality of student outcomes.
- Provides instruction and mentors students for the purpose of improving academic, social emotional, health and behavior practices.
- Demonstrates effective differentiation of instruction to meet the individual needs of students.
- Directs the use of paraprofessionals and volunteers for the purpose of delivering an effective classroom program.
- Manages student behavior using the GCOA Behavior Management Plan.
- Monitors students in a variety of educational environments including classroom, cafeteria, grounds, hallways, off campus learning opportunities and field trips, for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Participates in meetings and professional development activities to promote individual growth and for the purpose of enhancing the GCOA educational plan.
- Prepares a variety of materials for the purpose of documenting student progress and meeting mandated requirements.
- Reports incidents for the purpose of maintaining the safety of students and supporting a positive school learning environment including those that adhere to state law and board policies.
- Participate in safety related trainings and potentially provide first aid to students when engaged in GCOA activities.
- Other duties as they may be assigned to meet the safety and well-being of students and which may benefit the GCOA educational program.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to the school’s mission and core model
- Passion for the outdoors and at minimum and understanding of basic outdoor-related skills.
- Proficiency in gathering and utilizing data and evidence to make instructional decisions.
- Accepts personal ownership for school success and student growth.
- Believes that ALL children can learn and succeed.
- Ability to problem solve and deal with a variety of situations that may arise.
- Ability to work effectively with students, staff, parents and community from diverse backgrounds and begin responsive to their needs.
- Demonstrate ability to motivate students to work to achieve high expectations.
- Proven effective classroom instruction and classroom management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to effectively relate and communicate with all GCOA stakeholder groups.
- Passion for teaching and building relationships with students from all educational and economic backgrounds.
- Willingness to “go above and beyond: to support students in the achieving academic, behavior and social emotional goals.
- Commitment to continued personal and professional growth. Including those opportunities pursued individually and provided through GCOA.
- Positive attitude towards being a part of a school team and displays a strong sense of professionalism skills.
- Management and organizational ability, displaying common sense, and a positive attitude.
- Comply with all GCOA policies and rules as well as the legal requirements of the State of Arizona.
- Computer skills proficient to address classroom requirements and GCOA educational program needs.
- Structured English Immersion (SEI) coursework and/or endorsement preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- A valid Arizona Teacher’s Certificate, K-8
- Arizona State Fingerprint Clearance Card
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The GCOA educational plan requires that teachers deliver instruction through both the
classroom and outdoor related activities. To perform these tasks teachers must be able to work
in a variety of outdoor settings. This may include hiking, camping, water activities and working
with tools relevant to performing outdoor related activities.
About Glen Canyon Outdoor Academy
Glen Canyon Outdoor Academy is a grades K-8 free public charter school located in beautiful Page, Arizona. GCOA is a new school opening our doors for grades 1-6 in August of 2022 and expanding to grades K-8 over the following 2 years. GCOA provides an expeditionary school model focused on delivering AZ state standards through outdoor themed units using the amazing natural and cultural resources available to us in our geographical area. Page is located in northern Arizona on the borders of Lake Powell and the Colorado River. We are in the middle of the Grand Circle with many national and state parks within a 2-3 hour drive. Page is a diverse community that borders the Navajo Nation. We are looking for exceptional teachers who have a passion for the outdoors and for working with a diverse student population.