Youth LEAD Program Associate
Posted by Environmental Traveling Companions on 01/12/2023
Industry Sector: Outdoor, WaterSports
Job Categories: Operations, Outdoor Education
Company Type: Conservation, Intern, NaturalResources, Recreation, TravelandTourism
City: San Francisco
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Contact Name: Isabela Celedón
Contact Phone: 4154747662 ext. 16
Job Type: Seasonal Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Job title: Youth LEAD Program Associate
Reports to: Youth LEAD Program Manager
Job Classification: Seasonal
Organization & Program Description:
Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC) is a volunteer-based nonprofit providing the joy and challenge of outdoor adventures to people with all abilities and from all backgrounds since 1972. We inspire self-confidence, connection to nature, and community-based environmental stewardship through accessible sea kayaking, rafting, and multi-week expeditions for youth from historically marginalized backgrounds.
The Youth LEAD Program (YLP) is one of ETC’s three main programs. We provide life-changing outdoor experiences for youth (14–18-year-olds) from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds, focusing on technical outdoor skills, environmental education, socio-emotional growth, and leadership development. Our 14-to-21-day courses incorporate sea kayaking, rafting, and backpacking. Students learn about themselves, their community of peers, natural history, and environmental science through lessons, storytelling, community-building, and adventure in the wilderness.
The Youth LEAD Program Associate will work closely and collaboratively with ETC’s Youth LEAD Program Manager and will be responsible for providing administrative and field support for five YLP outdoor summer courses in 2023. The job responsibilities include:
- Create and organize pre-existing field-applicable curriculum pertaining to watersheds, climate, leadership, socio-emotional learning, and indigenous history of the Bay Area with support from Program Manager
- Organize administrative trip logistics and schedules, including but not limited to onboarding student applicants, preparing course materials, and communicating with agency partners
- Prepare course menus; coordinate and executing food buys; clean, organize, and pack gear for Courses; occasionally deliver food resupplies to instructors and students in the field
- Co-facilitate pre-trip student orientation meetings, course start days, and student graduation ceremonies
- Support with planning and some facilitation for the 5-day YLP Instructor Training in June
- Organize post-course feedback, course evaluations and student assessments
- Occasionally support YLP Intern with gear organization, cleaning, and maintenance
- Option to deliver focused activities in the field with students and instructors or support during sea kayak skills days
- Provide positive support for the Youth LEAD Fellows, aspiring leaders in the outdoor industry (March-May)
- Serve as a positive, authentic, and encouraging role model for participants, Instructors, and co-workers.
- Safely manage and supervise all activities according to ETC operating policies, protocols, and procedures
- The YLP Program Associate will receive training on ETC specific policies and procedures and may be asked to share on-call tasks for courses during normal working hours
- The Program Associate and YLP Program Manager will discuss personal goals and areas of interest for the season
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Age requirement: 19+
- Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) Certification encouraged
- Hiring is dependent on criminal background check and DMV driver background check
- Must have clean driving record
- Must have 2+ years licensed driving experience
- Previous field experience leading outdoor/adventure education programs, fostering environmentalcuriosity, excitement, and stewardship
- Previous experience leading diversity and inclusion activities and/or facilitating programs with raciallyand socioeconomically diverse groups of youth (14–18-year-olds)
- Interest in streamlining logistical program systems - gear, food, student journals, food buys, etc.
- Ability to communicate positively, value feedback, and excel in a strong team-oriented environment
- Demonstrate professionalism, strong organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Flexibility with work schedule (workdays may include weekends and evenings/early mornings)
- Open to different leadership styles and collaboration; celebrates individual uniqueness with goal ofcreating inclusive, safe spaces
- If identified with a socially dominant group (white, wealthy, heterosexual, cis gender, etc): is committedto examining personal power and privilege and self-education about power dynamics
- Ability to speak Spanish (preferred)
- Experience as a sea kayak, backpack, and/or raft guide (preferred)
Dates of Employment:
- Start date: March 2023
- End date: September 2023 (flexible)
- Location: Fort Mason Center, San Francisco
- March – June: weekdays, 9am-5pm
- June – mid-August: Some weekends, evenings, and early mornings; work schedule dependent on YLP course dates. The work schedule will be established by the YLP Program Manager in collaboration with the YLP Program Associate before the summer season begins.
- Potential to lead one multi-week YLP Summer Course during the summer season, depending on experience. Please click HERE to view our YLP Field Instructor Job Description and summer course dates.
Compensation & Benefits: $3,000 - $3,500/month, depending on experience. Participation in the Youth LEAD Program 5-day Instructor Training (June 5-9, 2023) and optional ETC Inclusion Training (May 20-21, 2023)
We strongly encourage people of color and individuals identifying as LGBTQI to apply for this position.
How to Apply: Thank you for your interest! Please send a resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications and related experience to Isabela Celedón at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the position, please email email@example.com or call 415-474-7662 ext.16.