Senior Product Manager, Hard Goods
Posted by Leatherman on 01/29/2023
Industry Sector: , Action, Bike, Fishing, Fitness, Hunting/Shooting, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow, WaterSports
Job Categories: Design & Development - Product, Management - Brand, Management - Product -Brand, Product Analyst
Company Type: Accessories, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation, Retail
City: Portland, Oregon
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 team members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Please visit our website at: www.leatherman.com
Our senior product manager with a focus on hard goods will, independently operate within the framework of the Leatherman NPD process to implement and lead comprehensive product strategies for targeted industries, including identification of market needs, product solutions, market potential and sales potential. Drives toward achieving the company NPD goals, metrics and strategy for products. Develop plans for product, pricing, cost, and launch strategy. Manage products from ideation to post-launch evaluation and end of life execution. Plan, organize and coordinate assigned projects to achieve financial/budgetary goals. Facilitate the development of a collaborative and creative team culture that has fun while working hard and delivering great results. This is a small team and this position must be capable of being self-driven, navigating a cross-functional organization to achieved desired goals.
- Create the annual update of industry analysis and product roadmap for designated industries, hard goods.
- Industry and key competitor analysis in for our key markets.
- Market and channel analysis for each of our strategically important consumer and geographic markets.
- Leatherman product portfolio analysis to determine performance and opportunities for improvement.
- Gathering of ideas and organizing, prioritizing and selecting the ones we should focus our resources on for a balance of maximum strategic, brand and revenue value.
- Deliver/update new product briefs to initiate each phase of development for products which support the product roadmap and efficiently guiding the NPD resources to success.
- Manage and direct Research and Industrial Design Team/Resources to assure all priorities are aligned and on task. Manage Voice of Customer (VOC) and Voice of Channel Partner process, including field testing.
- Create the product strategy, market entry timing, product launch plans and the business case to support the critical business review. Assure brand alignment and support the team through the development cycle. Collaborates with the “get to market” and “go to market” teams to actively drive the product to success. Possesses ownership.
- Develop end of life strategies and plans to maximize revenue and profit from products scheduled for discontinuation. Collaborate with Sales and Operations to minimize excess and obsolete raw materials, components, products and costs associated with discontinuation.
- Provide sales and marketing support to domestic and foreign dealers/distributors/agents.
- Responsible for global pricing in collaboration with Marketing and Sales. Create product life cycle pricing strategies to maximize profit.
- Develops own itinerary and travel arrangements as necessary to attend trade shows, customer visits and perform VOC research.
- Evaluate product recommendations from existing and potential customer/consumer for product feasibility.
- Develops and maintains a system to store and retrieve developments and discoveries.
- May be responsible to lead, mentor and manage other members of the Product Management Team.
- May be responsible to develop and manage team to adhere to the department budget.
- Collaborates – Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Customer focus – Build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions.
- Ensures accountability – Hold self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Instills trust – Gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field or related experience required.
- Two - three years “Hard Goods” experience required.
- Four - seven years progressively responsible product marketing and project management experience required.
- Excellent organization skills with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent skills in interpersonal relationships, communication and teamwork.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
- Work independently and possess a high level of self-motivation and initiative.
- Effectively problem solve, prioritize, and follow through on assignments and projects.
*Hybrid means working onsite at our corporate office located in Portland, Oregon several days per week.
We care about the Health and Wellbeing of our Employees
Leatherman believes having healthy employees contributes to a healthy and productive workplace and community. While we're all responsible for our own overall health and well-being, Leatherman works toward helping employees make healthy lifestyle choices and changes that improve their health and overall quality of life through its many Health and Wellbeing Resources.
- Free/low cost on-site primary care health center
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible spending and health savings accounts
- Behavioral health programs
- Pet insurance
- Onsite health coaching
- Lifestyle and fitness programs
- Tuition assistance
- Employee volunteer program
- Generous employee discounts
- Onsite fitness center
- Paid time off
We thrill our consumers with quality, products and service; We care about each other’s well-being; We share ideas, challenge each other and do the right thing; We respect each other, show humility and grow from our failures; We foster the development of individuals to reach their greatest potential.
We create innovative products that prepare people for the expected and unexpected and result in real tales of triumph.
Our vision is to be the global multipurpose brand of choice.
Pre-employment background check and drug screening is required. Leatherman Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.