The Position: Research and Development Engineer
Werner Paddles, one of the leading manufacturers in the outdoor industry, has an exciting opportunity in our Engineering department. We produce the lightest, strongest paddles available worldwide, with all of our paddles being manufactured in Sultan, Washington.
We are seeking an energetic, positive, self-motivated Research and Development Engineer to join our team supporting the production of high performance paddles. This individual must be a degreed engineer with a proven history of utilizing SolidWorks and Microsoft Excel. Candidates must be mechanically-minded, resourceful, and comfortable working with tools and equipment. Experience in composite fabrication and Lean Manufacturing is preferred. Automation or plastic injection molding experience will also be considered a plus.
The R&D Engineer must be uniquely suited to pour their creative energy into sourcing and developing cutting edge materials, manufacturing techniques, and graphics applications. In addition, this position is responsible for generating revolutionary Phase I paddle design ideas and spearheading Product Development for New Product Team approved concepts.
Most importantly, Werner Paddles is a tight-knit group of outgoing, open-minded individuals operating in a fast-paced, friendly work environment. We would love to round out the team with a personality that meshes with our company and brings a unique skill set to the table. Sense of humor, ability to multi-task, and love of the outdoors are a must. Paddling expertise in any discipline is required.
Position: Research and Development Engineer
Immediate Supervisor: Senior Engineer
Manage research and development projects and activities to facilitate introduction of new products, materials, technologies and production processes. Research, implement and evaluate improvements to existing products or processes.
This individual must be enthusiastic about working in a team to challenge existing processes and product designs and to facilitate positive change towards both.
- Designs, develops, analyzes and documents innovative product designs which meet the cost, reliability, manufacturability, safety and functional requirements of Werner Paddles.
- Source new materials and suppliers that improve product quality and reduce costs.
- Manage the development process through to production.
- Analyzes tools, methods, processes, and equipment to improve the quality, reliability, strength and structure of our products.
- Manage all new equipment projects, related to new products or technologies, to include feasibility studies, testing, justification/validity, and total implementation.
- Stay current in composites and other relevant technologies by attending trade shows and networking with industry sources and other methods.
- Develop and refine methods of measuring a paddles performance.
- Establish and maintain knowledge of competitor’s products such as weights, cost, product designs, and innovative new materials being used.
- Actively participate in paddle testing during new product development and takes initiative to paddle current products and competitor products.
- Assist with overall engineering documentation as needed.
- This position will involve many other tasks, responsibilities and projects that are not listed. The above job description is a highlight of some of the larger duties.
- Ability to evaluate, develop, and implement improvements quickly
- Ability to develop engineering drawings and documentation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent technical project management skills
- Ability to identify problem areas and bring solutions
- Track-record of innovation and continuous improvement
- Honest. Must keep company information confidential
- Self Motivated, Decision Maker
- Have sense of humor and be generally upbeat
- Organized and orderly
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline of engineering. Experience may be considered in lieu of degree
- Experience working with composite materials and lamination processes
- Experience with research and development projects and/or product design
- Proficient in the use of SolidWorks and proven experience designing complex surfaces
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Proficient in any one discipline of paddle sports including Touring, Stand Up, Whitewater, and Canoeing with a personal willingness to expand paddling skill set across multiple disciplines
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Experience with or knowledge of injection molding
- Three or more years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with lean manufacturing.
If you meet the qualifications and requirements of the job description and are interested in applying for the above position, please contact or send your resume to Keith Krueger, Operations Manager, at Keith.Krueger@wernerpaddles.com.
Werner Paddles, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Location: Monroe, WA
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate:
Willing to Travel:
Required Experience Required: 3-5 years
Contact Name: Keith Krueger