|Job Title: ||Senior Designer, Equipment
|Industry Sector: ||Outdoor
|Job Categories: ||Design - Product
The Position: Senior Designer, Equipment
Newell Brands is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, learn, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial brands that matter while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation.
This is a job summary which includes essential job duties of this position. More specific information regarding duties may be provided upon request.
The Senior Designer, Equipment works closely with the Brand Manager, Equipment and the Equipment Design and Development Team to lead the equipment design effort for Newell Brands Technical Apparel products such as Tents, Sleeping Bags, Backpacks, Luggage and accessories. Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA) is a division of Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL), a globally-recognized designer, developer, marketer and retailer of high-performance technical apparel and equipment with a portfolio of brands that includes Marmot® and ExOfficio®.The Senior Designer, Equipment assists in initiating and interpreting new product concepts to meet the needs of NBTA customers and professional athletes. This position creates unique innovation that maintains each brand’s technical leadership in the Outdoor Market. The incumbent manages design projects from initial design direction to bulk production to ensure project goals are achieved and deadlines are reached. The Senior Designer, Equipment assumes a lead role in the category for communicating and presenting creative strategies, product concepts and consumer insights to internal and external audiences. This position mentors members of the design team and works closely with the Equipment Brand Manager throughout creative process.
- University or four-year college degree in Industrial Design or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in various phases of outdoor equipment design, construction and manufacturing
- Extensive knowledge of backpack, sleeping bag, tent and other equipment construction, material construction, product testing and properties, costing, fabrics and trims
- Thorough understanding of the design, development and merchandising process from inception through production
- Strong knowledge of technical and design needs to build exceptional product focused on technical fabric and construction innovation and margin
- Experience working with factories and Product Development teams, developing fabric and other materials technology and construction innovation
- Extensive industry and consumer trend knowledge in the outdoor industry
- Practical knowledge of other functions such as sourcing, production, sales, marketing and merchandising preferred
- Comfortable working with department executives, suppliers, engineers, and manufacturers to identify and develop new product concepts, innovations and construction technologies
- Proactive and passionate approach to driving fresh, innovative thinking from product concept to final execution
- Able to manage and lead change
- Able to mentor and guide/collaborate among cross-functional teams to achieve business goals
- Presentation/speaking skills – able to present and sell to all levels of the organization as well as the customer, communicating a clear and inspiring vision
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to precisely communicate and negotiate time frames verbally and in writing in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated collaboration, interpersonal influence, and teamwork skills (maintains effective communication and working relationships)
- Results orientation while exhibiting great energy and resourcefulness
- Self-starter who brings passion, enthusiasm and focus to each project
- Strong project planning, organizational and time management skills and a high level of initiative
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Attention to detail
- Team player - puts aside personal goals and works well with others, doing what needs to be done to strive for a common goal
- Able to manage to deadlines, be flexible with change, drive to timely resolution
- High degree of proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign using a Mac computer required
- Proficiency in all Microsoft programs on a Mac; intermediate Microsoft Excel skills required
- Sense of humor and a passion for what you do
- Able to travel up to 20% of the year, including international travel to factories and tradeshows
Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA), a division of Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL), is a globally-recognized designer, developer, marketer and retailer of high-performance technical apparel and equipment with a portfolio of brands that includes Marmot® and ExOfficio®.
Our core values of People - Product - Planet represent our commitment to innovation, quality, authenticity, continuous improvement, community and sustainability. We offer a competitive total compensation, health and wellness package and a down-to-earth, collaborative and engaging work environment.
Embark on your next adventure at Newell Brands Technical Apparel!
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Job Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 7-10 years